Saturday, March 19, 2011

How to make Polenta?


I learned to make polenta from scratch one summer when I was in Lithuania and none of the stores there sold pre-made polenta. Once I learned how to make it myself I have not bought it in a store ever since. Polenta is usually served with lamb in the restaurants but in my kitchen I like serving polenta as a side dish for lamb, chicken, fish or with veggies. I especially like eating polenta with a zucchini dish that I make in the summer.


Ingredients:

1 cup of polenta, Bob’s Red Mill brand
4 cups of water
1 teaspoon of salt
3 tablespoons of shredded Parmesan
1 tablespoon of butter


 
Preparation:

Polenta to water ratio is 1 to 4. Pour water in a pot and add salt, bring to boil. Take cup with polenta into one hand (I use left) and a whisk into another (right for me). To the boiling water in a pot slowly start adding polenta and as you add whisk polenta into the water. Whisking prevents clumps from forming. Continue whisking until all polenta is in a pot, stir polenta and reduce heat to medium low.  Close the lid and let polenta cook for 10 minutes. Stir polenta few times while it is cooking. After 10 minutes once polenta has cooked, take the pot off the heat and add butter and parmesan and mix. Polenta is now ready to serve. Serve it with some shredded Parmesan on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment