Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Rigatoni with Hot Italian Sausage
Tonight's dinner is Rigatoni with Hot Italian Sausage. I made this dish tonight and have plenty of leftovers for lunches this week. Here is the recipe.
4 Fresh Hot Italian Sausages
1 large or 3-4 small onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 28 oz can of peeled whole tomatoes
1 teaspoon of chili flakes
2 sprigs of fresh basil, finely chopped
1 package of rigatoni pasta
Olive Oil for cooking
Salt and Pepper
1. In a pan saute garlic and onions in olive oil on medium heat until onions become translucent and are lightly brown. About 5-7 minutes.
2. Remove sausages from the casings and add them into the pan with onions. With a wooden spoon cut sausages into small pieces and cook until meat is cooked through and is lightly brown. About 10 minutes.
3. In a meantime cut tomatoes in a can into smaller pieces. I usually pour all tomatoes into a separate big bowl and cut each tomato with a knife. Another way is just to do it in a can with a knife.
4. Once sausage and onion mixture has been cooked I transfer it into a clean pot. Then I add chopped tomatoes with all tomato juice, chili flakes and basil. I continue cooking the sauce on medium heat until it starts to boil. Once boiling I reduce heat to medium low, cover pot with the lid and let the sauce cook for another 12 minutes stirring 3-4 times. I taste the sauce for salt and pepper and add desired amount.
5. While sausage is cooking I cook pasta following directions on a package. Once pasta and sauce are cooked it is time to combine the two and eat. Add pasta to a large bowl and then add sausage sauce and mix. Serve pasta with some fresh shredded Parmesan. Tasty and easy - just the way we like it!