Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cipolline Onions with Balsamic Vinegar and Raisins


Last week looking over the old issue of Saveur magazine I decided to make few Roman dishes from it this weekend. The first recipe is Sweet and Sour Onions. I love chipolline onions and balsamic vinegar!!! The recipe was very easy to follow and onions came out as expected - sweet and sour :) The only challenge was getting cipolline onions in Seattle. After stopping at several stores (Whole Foods, PCC, Trader Joe's) without any luck, I decided to try Metropolitan Market and I hit the jackpot - I got my onions! Following the recipe from Saveur, here is how I made Sweet and Sour Onions.






Ingredients:

1 lb of cipolline onions, peeled
1/2 cup of raisins
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
Olive Oil for cooking
1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
Salt to taste

Preparation:

1. I put raisins in a bowl, poured hot water over them and let them soften up for about 30-40 minutes.

2. I poured olive oil into a pan (about 2 tablespoons), added onions and let them cook until golden brown on both sides on medium heat. This took about 10 minutes. While onions were cooking, I drained the raisins. Once onions have been cooked, the recipe recommends to pour off the oil.



3. The final step is to add raisins, balsamic vinegar, sugar and salt to the pan with onions and cook on medium heat for another 3 minutes until sauce thickens up.



4. Onions are ready to serve. I served them chilled though recipe tells to serve them warm. I also did not use all the raisins that were in a pan. Somehow I had too many of them for my taste. Next time I think I will try cutting amount of raisins by half.


No comments:

Post a Comment