Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fennel Baked in Milk and Parmesan


The second Roman dish I made from Saveur magazine is Fennel Baked in Milk and Parmesan. Again, the recipe was very easy to follow and dish came out surprisingly tasty! I did omit fennel seeds from the original recipe but I don't think we lost too much. Again, the original recipe is here. Here is how I made it.



Ingredients:

2 medium bulbs of fennel, cut into 1/2 inch wedges or pieces (it is a bit hard to cut fennel in nice wedges)
3 cups of 2% milk
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 475F. In a medium pot I combined fennel, milk and 2 tablespoons of butter together and let them cook on medium low heat for about 45 minutes. I did stir the mixture about every 10 minutes.


2. Using a slotted spoon I transferred all fennel into the ovenproof baking dish, poured 1 cup of milk mixture into it, added salt, pepper, another tablespoon of butter and sprinkled shredded Parmesan cheese on top. I put fennel into the oven and let it bake for about 30 minutes until the dish was bubbly and golden brown. We served fennel and onions with pork chops. :) Pork chops were also cooked using the recipe from Saveur magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment