Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mousse Au Chocolat


I love love chocolate mousse! One of my college memories is making chocolate mousse with my french friend. I remember her using eggs and chocolate and making this amazing mousse. Sadly, I lost touch with her but the memory of the mousse never faded. So, one day I decided to make chocolate mousse and was looking for it on the internet. I was looking for something very simple, the recipe that used only eggs and chocolate and I found one. The recipe for Mousse Au Chocolat is here. I want to share how I made it with pictures.

Ingredients:
8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli)
6 eggs, at room temperature


Preparation:
1. I start by separating egg yolks and whites into two separate bowls.



2. I prefer to whisk egg yolks right away and put the bowl aside.

3. Next step is to break chocolate and put it in a small pan and turn the stove on low and let chocolate melt very slowly. Be careful not to burn it. But keeping the pan on low worked for me. One thing I have learned about making desserts is to take time. Let chocolate melt slowly. It will melt!

4. While chocolate is melting I use hand mixer to whip the egg whites until I can make fancy stiff peaks.


5. I check on chocolate and is has melted. I then pour it into a separate large bowl and let it cool for 2 minutes. I then add egg yolks into chocolate and whisk the mixture with a whisk very fast.

6. The next step is to add egg whites. Following the recipe I first added one third of egg whites into chocolate mixture and mixed it thoroughly. I then continued folding couple scoops of egg whites into the mixture until all egg whites were gone.  This is how the mousse looked after I added egg whites. It was hard to take pictures while I was folding in the egg whites :) So this is a picture of the final mousse mixture. Next, I covered the mousse bowl with a plastic wrap and put it into a fridge to set. I served the mousse with berries and a mint leaf. It was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment