Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Kale, Avocado and Pine Nuts Salad


Finally, I learned the way I LOVE to eat Kale. Two nights in a row I have been making this salad. I know, I know kale is a super food. Still...  it is not that easy to convince me to eat it.

I have been reading more and more recipes about kale salads and have noticed that restaurants have added kale salads on their menu as well. After consulting few recipes and thinking about the ingredients I like to eat I made this kale salad. Here is how to make it.

Ingredients:
1 bunch of kale, stemmed and finely chopped
1 avocado, seeded, quartered and chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/8 cup of toasted pine nuts
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper (optional)


Preparation:

In a large salad bowl combine together kale, tomato, lemon juice and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.


Using your hands massage vigorously the salad mixture until kale looks wilted. (Wash your hands thoroughly before doing this).


Kale will look like this.


I bought raw pine nuts and toasted them in a pan on medium low heat. The last step is to add avocado, pine nuts and cayenne pepper and toss. Salad is ready to serve :) Enjoy!


I also tried massaging kale with 1/2 of avocado and adding the rest 1/2 of avocado with pine nuts. The salad comes out very creamy this way. Also, other recipes suggest adding cucumber and omitting avocado and using hemp seeds instead of pine nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment