Thursday, September 27, 2012

Making Pizza with Prosciutto and Figs at Home


I have been making pizza at home using pizza dough and sauce from Trader Joe's for four years now. I vary toppings but my staple has been prosciutto fig pizza. I like making it in late summer/early fall when figs are in season. The key to making a good pizza is not to overdo with the ingredients. You must put just enough of sauce, cheese, tomatoes and etc so that pizza comes out not soggy. Almost all of the ingredients I use I bought at Trader Joe's (this is not an endorsement but I like Trader Joe's with an exception of their hit-and-miss produce). Here is my recipe.



Ingredients:

1 package of fresh pizza dough from Trader Joe's (I like Herb Garlic)
1 (16 oz) jar of pizza sauce from Trader Joe's
1 package of buffalo mozzarella, sliced (I use 1/2 of a ball usually)
4-5 slices of prosciutto, torn
2 small tomatoes, sliced
8 figs, sliced in circles
1/4 of a small red onion, half-mooned
Parmesan cheese and fresh basil for garnish
Flour for rolling the dough




Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 450F. I usually make 2 pizzas from one package because I like thin crust pizza. I use flour to roll the dough out and then transfer it to a baking sheet dusted with flour.




2. Spread 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce first. Then start adding ingredients. Put as many or as little of each ingredient as you want but remember not to overdo it! Sometimes less is more. Use your creativity here! Once you put all ingredients fold the corners of the pizza.




3. Bake pizza for 12 minutes or until cooked - this depends on your oven. Once pizza is done, take it out of the oven, sprinkle Parmesan cheese and chopped basil leaves. Cut pizza and serve with a salad or with a beer. Very simple to make, is not it?



No comments:

Post a Comment