Thursday, July 7, 2011
Zucchini with Carrots, Onions, Tomatoes and Parsley
Summertime in Seattle means access to locally grown fresh produce. One of my favorite summer dishes to make is zucchini with carrots, onions, tomatoes and parsley. I prefer light green variety of zucchini. They have very smooth texture and work perfectly for this recipe. All ingredients for this dish were bought at the local farmers market in Seattle this week.
5 small (about 8 inches long) light green zucchinis, sliced into 1 inch circles
3 small/medium onions, sliced
3 carrots, peeled and cut into straws
1 large tomato, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Handful of parsley, chopped
Olive oil for cooking
Salt and Pepper
1. Pour olive oil into a large pan and on medium heat fry zucchini circles on both sides until lightly brown. After that transfer zucchini to a separate plate and repeat the same process until all zucchini circles have been fried on both sides.
2. Put all zucchini back into the pan.
3. Add onions, carrots, tomato, and garlic on top. Salt and pepper to taste. Close the lid and let vegetables cook for an hour on medium low. Check periodically to make sure there is enough liquid in a pan. In about 30 minutes, stir vegetables and add chopped parsley.
4. After an hour of cooking, most of the liquid would evaporate and zucchini and other vegetables should be soft and ready to eat. I like to taste the dish for salt at this time. Add more if necessary.
5. Zucchini is ready to be served. Tonight I served it with whole wheat pasta and shredded parmesan cheese. I also like to eat it with polenta.