Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Potato Pancakes "Draniki"


This week I made one of the dishes from my motherland - Potato Pancakes or how we call them in Russia "Draniki." This is not something I make every day because it involves grating a lot of potatoes, very intensive task. But once in a while when I have a craving and the mood is right it is worth all the effort. Below is the recipe I used.

Ingredients:
2.5 lb of yukon gold potatoes
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons of sour cream
2 tablespoons of flour
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Salt to taste
Olive Oil for cooking
Sour Cream for serving

Preparation:

1. Peel potatoes and grate them finely on the smallest grater possible. Be careful not to grate your skin off. This is the most labor intensive part of cooking potato pancakes. It usually takes me about 30 minutes. As I start grating I add lemon juice to the bowl. Lemon juice prevents potatoes from turning blue, which is what commonly happens to potatoes if they sit out too long. You will have potato mush.


2. To the bowl with potatoes add flour, sour cream, egg and salt to taste. Mix all ingredients very well together.


3. Now it is time to fry potato pancakes. I usually use non-stick pan for this. Preheat oil in a pan on medium high heat. Lower heat to medium. Then pour small amounts of potato mixture into the pan, forming small ovals. I fit 3 pancakes into one pan. Fry on medium heat until pancakes are golden brown and then flip them and continue frying until gold brown. Transfer cooked pancakes to the plate and repeat the process. Add oil as needed.



4. Once all pancakes are cooked it is time to eat. Serve them with sour cream or for more decadent meal fry bacon bits in a separate pan ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment