Sunday, July 24, 2011

Omelette with Heirloom Tomatoes and Beechers Cheese


This is my favorite omelette during the summer. I love making it with fresh heirloom tomatoes. My cousin Greg taught me how to make it when we both were 11 years old and spent summer at my grandmother in Russia. He used fresh picked tomatoes grown in my grandmother's garden and used eggs from her chickens. I have been making this omelette since then. Tomatoes are such a wonderful vegetable or fruit (whatever your preference) - they are sweet and acidic and just delicious! Here is a recipe.




Ingredients:

3-4 medium size heirloom tomatoes
3 eggs
3/4 cup of shredded cheese, I used Beechers flagship today
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive Oil for cooking

Preparation:

1. Cut tomatoes with a knife into half-moon slices (not too thick). Pour olive oil in a pan, add sliced tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Start cooking tomatoes on medium heat.


2. Tomatoes will need to be cooked for about 15-20 minutes, until they form a paste. Stir tomatoes frequently so they don't burn.



3. In a separate bowl beat eggs together. To cut some cholesterol, I usually take one yolk out. Add salt and pepper to eggs. Once tomatoes have cooked down and formed a paste, spread tomatoes evenly in a pan and pour eggs on top.


4. Reduce heat to medium low. Close the pan with a lid and let eggs cook for 2 minutes.


5. Once eggs have cooked, sprinkle them with shredded cheese and close the lid and let cook for another 2 minutes until cheese has melted.



6. Omelette is ready to be served. Cut it in a pan in 4 slices and transfer carefully on to a plate. Today I served it with bacon, English muffin toast and fresh blueberries.

1 comment:

  1. Опробовано, добавлено лука в рецепт, и - очень вкусно :) Давно забытое старое, как говорится.

    ReplyDelete