Sunday, October 13, 2013

Influences of Italian Vacation at home - Bruschetta and Porcinis



While on vacation in Italy I got into a habit of eating bruschetta. I love tomatoes with salt and olive oil and having that bread soak up the tomato juice. There is nothing complicated about making bruschetta - chop fresh, firm tomatoes, add just a little bit of finely chopped fresh basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt, mix and put over toasted or grilled white bread. Yes, white bread - hope my trainer Matt is not reading this. Wholewheat will work too.



In Italy salads are served without a dressing. You are given balsamic vinegar and olive oil on a side to add as much or as little as you want. Good habit to have.

Last night I also fried fresh porcinis that I got at the U-district farmers market. I used the same recipe as when I fry chanterelles - shallot, salt and olive oil. They came out delicious! The porcinis we had in Italy were roasted but I like my mushrooms to be well cooked so they are not spongy.



No comments:

Post a Comment