Sunday, April 14, 2013

Risotto with Peas and Shiitake Mushrooms




The other night I found myself wondering what I could do with shiitake mushrooms and sugar snap peas. There was nothing else in the fridge - no protein and I did not feel like a stir fry. Risotto popped into my head. And I made it. It came out superb so I made it again last night and we all enjoyed it. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

For Risotto
1 cup of arborio rice
4 cups of chicken stock (I used low sodium but regular will be just fine)
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 lb of sugar snap peas, only peas!
1/4 cup of white wine
1 tablespoon of cold butter
Salt 
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil

For Mushrooms
1 lb of shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil







 Preparation:

1. Mix mushrooms with Olive Oil and roast in the oven at 450F for about 25-30 minutes turning once or twice.

2. To make risotto you need two pots: one for risotto and one for stock to keep it hot. In a pot heat up chicken stock until boiling, reduce heat to low. In a separate pot fry shallots in Olive Oil for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat, add arborio rice, stir and deglaze with white wine. Let cook for a minute or so. 

3. Now it is time to add chicken stock. The key is to keep the stock warm/hot. Add just enough chicken stock to cover the rice and let it cook until all stock is absorbed, then add more chicken stock again just enough to cover the rice, repeat until rice is almost done. Stir occasionally. Taste for salt. With low sodium chicken stock I had to add some salt with regular I did not. 

4. Once rice is almost cooked add peas, stir, cover with a lid and turn the heat off. Let stand for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes add cold butter to hold it together and stir. Risotto is ready to be served. 

5. To plate put risotto on a plate, add shiitake mushrooms on top and garnish with shaved fresh asparagus. If wanted, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment