Sunday, October 30, 2011

Poached Pears with Vanilla Ice Cream



It is fall and pears are being sold everywhere and all kinds: comice, bartlett, bosc and etc. I must have had an inspiration last night since I made quiche for dinner and poached pears for dessert. I found this webpage How to Poach Pears very educational. Here is how I made my dessert.  I really went the simplest cooking route possible and believe me I was very happy with the results.


Ingredients:

2 pears
4 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
1 vanilla bean, split in half
Vanilla Ice Cream for serving

Preparation:

1. The recommendation is to use very firm pears for poaching such as Bosc. I decided to buy not yet ripe firm comice pear and also not very ripe D'Anjou pear. I washed them, quartered, peeled the skin off and removed the seeds.



2. In a large pot I combined water, sugar and vanilla bean. On medium-low heat I let sugar dissolve, 5 minutes or so. Next, I added pears and brought the heat up to medium. Once the the mixture started boiling I reduced heat to low, closed the lid and let pears cook for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes I took pears out, let them cool for about 15 minutes and then served few slices with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It was very tasty and nice dessert. Very easy to make. You can add more ingredients in to the syrup but simple vanilla worked for me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment