Sunday, May 6, 2012

Shrimp and Avocado Cocktail




Few weeks back I was browsing through the big stash of my husband's Food and Wine magazines. The recipe for Mexican Shrimp Cocktail from April 2004 issue caught my eye. This weekend I decided to make it. Here is how I did it.

Ingredients:

10 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 avocado
1/2 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons of prepared horseradish (I use Bubbies brand)
Salt and Pepper

Preparation:

1. I filled half of a small pot with water and brought it to a boil. I added raw shrimp to the pot and let them cook for 1 minute. I drained the shrimp, put them into a glass dish and let them chill in a refrigerator for 10 minutes.


2. To make the cocktail sauce I mixed together ketchup, cilantro and horseradish in a glass bowl. I added a little bit of salt and pepper.



3. I sliced avocado in quarters first and then sliced each quarter in small half-inch pieces. I then added avocado and shrimp to the bowl with a cocktail sauce and carefully mixed all the ingredients together. To serve I put few scoops of shrimp and avocado cocktail into individual small glass bowls. This was a great appetizer. I will definitely make it again. Shrimp was not overcooked - came out perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment